Some of the benefits of theater classes are increased self-esteem, a sense of accomplishment, better communication and presentation skills, enhanced literacy, and a dose of creativity--always useful whether you’re in high school or starting kindergarten. A variety of theater classes can be created for individuals and groups. The focus of a class is dependent on ages and skills the students wish to learn. We are often teaching in schools for artist-in-residence and after-school programs. At times, Cwerks will generate a class for the general public. Please check the news and events on the home page for those dates. It also helps us to know if you want a class for a particular time period or age. When we know there is an interest, we will sometimes schedule a class.
- MIME. Students learn and practice as many mime skills as time allows. Basic skills taught might be object compensation, the ball, expression, and the wall. Later, they may move on to the rope, walks, ladder, and others. In groups and as individuals, students create mime routines.
- ON STAGE. This class introduces students to basic theater terms, activities and skills. They practice skills through activities, group improvisations, and scene work.
- PERFORM! Students experience a variety of performing venues such as mime, puppetry, improvisation, and scene work. The focus is to be constantly working on something to perform and performing.
- CREATIVE DRAMATICS. Developed mainly for younger children, this class teaches a few theater skills and encourages and develops creativity as students participate in imaginative play.
- PRODUCTION. We can direct your group in a play.
- CUSTOM. We can, and usually do, create classes according to your objectives.
Places to Take Other Classes:
Throughout the Year
- Salem Music Discovery Center Fall classes, summer camps--Music, music, music. From toddlers and up. The director, Susan Wiley, is also adding private piano lessons for students of all ages.
- A.C. Gilbert’s Discovery Village Throughout the year, they have classes, including theater classes.
- Albany Civic Theater ACT YouThespians Program is for 4th graders up to age 18.
- OSU in Corvallis, has several programs for k-12 which include theater.
- Salem-Keizer Education Foundation Enrichment Academy. Find out about their offerings on their site.
- Capitol City Theatre They have improv classes for beginners to advanced, all ages. What hilarity!
- Children’s Educational Theater in Salem. Five-weeks of intensive, fun classes and productions for grades 3 and up, during the summer. (Marian teachs & directs here).
- Corban College Two-week summer theatre camp for grades 4-12.
- Linn Benton Community College Summer Career Academies for High School Students. It includes a several day performing arts program.
- Gallery Theater in McMinnville One week summer theater camp.
- If you know of others in the area, let us know and we’ll add it to this list.
Part of a workshop with a group of GEMS.